A gas leak was the source of a house explosion in Pontiac, MI that injured one person on February 2, 2019, Consumers Energy said yesterday. A man who was inside the house was blown out when it exploded around  11:30 p.m. He was transported from the scene, at the corner of Irwin Avenue and South Boulevard, to an area hospital for treatment of burns.

 

 

Consumers Energy the day after the explosion saying it had found a gas leak in the area and repaired it.

“This was a preventable tragedy,” said Fred Pritzker, a gas explosion attorney who recently won a $45 million settlement for a client. “In every case in which we’re involved, we find that innocent people were injured because pipeline and utility companies didn’t properly maintain their systems.”

In 2013, a gas leak caused a fatal house explosion in Royal Oak, MI. A Consumers Energy spokeswoman said the leak was likely caused when one of the company’s work crews damaged the pipeline while performing work on another project.  The company was also linked to a deadly explosion in Wayne, MI in 2010.

Fred Pritzker is a lead attorney of Pritzker Hageman’s Explosion Team. To contact them for a free consultation about your explosion injury or the death of a family member, click here or call 1(888) 377-8900 toll-free.

Firefighters extinguish a fire at night