The 40-year-old man who died in a Newton County, MO house explosion on August 31 called the company that had installed gas lines that day to say he smelled gas and was told that was normal, his pastor told KOAM News. Shortly after the call, John Schofield went to prepare dinner, turned on the burner on the stove and an explosion occurred killing him.

“It’s never normal to smell gas,” said Explosion Attorney Fred Pritzker, whose law firm Pritzker Hageman represents people who have been injured in explosions and families who have suffered the wrongful death of a loved one. “In fact, the smell of natural gas and propane is an odorant that is added to function as a warning of a gas leak.”

The state fire marshal is investigating the explosion.

Schofield is survived by his wife Amy and two young daughters. Life Church of Carthage is accepting donations to help the family.

The Pritzker Hageman Explosions Team has secured multiple settlements of more than $20 million for their clients. For a free consultation, please call  1-888-377-8900, text 612-261-0856, or complete the form below.

Wrongful Death Lawyer -white llilies on a polished surface