Problems with the heating system at LEAP Inc. in Farmington, ME, had been ongoing for months before a propane explosion that killed one person and seriously wounded several others, according to a report in the Press Herald. Residents in a neighboring mobile home park told the newspaper that they had been smelling gas for weeks before the deadly September 16 propane explosion that leveled the newly renovated building. Scott Landry, a town selectman, state representative and member of LEAP’s board of directors, who told the paper that the heating system had had problems since its installation in May, wondered how a leak could have gone undetected for so long.
At around 8:30 a.m. on September 16, 2019, firefighters responding to a call about a gas smell arrived at the recently renovated headquarters of LEAP Inc. a nonprofit center for people with cognitive disabilities located at 313 Farmington Falls Rd. Thanks to the heroic efforts of Larry Lord, 60, a maintenance worker at LEAP, the building had been evacuated by the time firefighters arrived and exploded a short time later while he was still inside.
Lord suffered burns over two-thirds of his body and is being treated in the burn unit at Boston’s General Hospital where he is expected to remain for several months. Fire Captain Capt. Michael Bell, 68, was killed in the blast. Five firefighters, Chief Terry Bell, 62, and Capt. Scott Baxter, 37, Theodore Baxter, 64, Joseph Hastings, 24, Capt. Timothy “TD” Hardy, 40; were injured.
Pritzker Hageman explosion lawyers represent clients nationwide who have been injured in explosions and the families of those who have suffered the wrongful death of a loved one. In one recent case, we recovered $45 million for a client who was seriously injured in a pipeline explosion. If your family needs help in the wake of an explosion, call us for a consultation. It’s free and there is no obligation. Our toll-free number is 1 (888) 377-8900. If you prefer, you can send a text to 612-261-0856, or complete the form below.