A Plano, Texas house explosion likely caused by a gas leak injured six people on Monday afternoon. The blast leveled the house on the 4400 block of Cleveland Drive and also damaged several nearby homes. Fire officials say an isolated gas leak within the home caused the explosion, which was so strong it could be felt up to a mile away. The explosion injured one person who was inside the house and five other people who lived next door, including three children. The adults were transported to the Medical Center of Plano. The children are being treated for burn injuries at the Children’s Medical Center of Plano.
Natural gas lines in the area were shut off. Investigators from Atmos Energy and Oncor Electric were on the scene. Investigators are working to determine the location of the gas leak.
Gas line leaks and explosions have devastating consequences, yet they are a common problem throughout the country. Our investigative team found a particularly high risk for catastrophic gas line explosions in areas with outdated iron pipeline systems. Fred Pritzker and Eric Hageman, who lead our explosion burn lawyer team, have appeared on WCCO-TV to discuss the need for more transparency and increased reporting from gas companies. Atmos Energy has been involved in several deadly blasts, which have led to pipeline safety reforms in Texas.
If your family has been affected by a gas explosion, it is important to talk to an experienced lawyer about your legal rights as soon as possible. For a free consultation with one of our explosion burn lawyers, please call 1-888-377-8900, text 612-261-0856, or fill out the form below.