Propane is the suspected source of a house explosion that injured one woman in Casco Township, MI. Chiron Thompson suffered severe burns and was rushed to the Burn and Wound Center at Bronson Methodist Hospital in Kalamazoo.

Ms. Thompson told local media that when the blast occurred she was thrown across the kitchen and then the ceiling fell in on her.  She was injured and surrounded by smoke and flames but had the courage and wherewithal to free herself from the wreckage, climb barefoot over the debris to safety.

South Haven Area Emergency Services responded to the scene in the 6000 block of 104th Avenue around 12:30 p.m. on Sunday, February 10, 2019.  The blast and the fire that followed completely destroyed the home. Firefighters from four other townships: Clyde, Columbia, Ganges and Lee, helped to bring the blaze under control within a few hours.

Investigators have not yet determined the source of the blast. MS. Thompson said she did not smell anything before the explosion. But that doesn’t mean there wasn’t a leak.

Although the chemical added to natural gas and propane is meant to act as an alert that something is wrong, there are several things that can inhibit this function. For example, prolonged exposure to the smell can cause “odor fatigue” or certain conditions can cause the odor to dissipate, this is called “odor fade.”

The explosion attorneys at Pritzker Hageman know the hidden danger that these gases pose. Fred Pritzker and Eric Hageman, who lead the Explosion Law Team, represent clients nationwide. They have secured multiple settlements of more than $20 million for their clients. For a free consultation, call 1(888) 377-8900 (toll-free) or use this online form.

UPDATE: This post was updated February 12, 2019.