A Mulvane, Kansas propane explosion destroyed a home and critically injured two people on Monday, July 11, 2018. The incident happened in the 1200 block of N. Geuda Springs Road, south of Mulvane, Kansas, in Sumner County.
The injured men were painters finishing a remodeling job in the house.
The gas was ignited when one of the workers turned on a circuit breaker in the house basement, causing a spark that ignited the built-up gas. Investigators said that it was a propane gas leak, and was ruled accidental.
The two men received burn injuries and were transported to Via Christi St. Francis in Wichita. Captain Lowell Ester told KSN News that one of the men seemed to have burns over a considerable part of his body.
WichitaFire.org tweeted about the incident, including the statement: “2 Code Red burn patients.”
Fire crews from Mulvane, Rose Hill, Derby, Wichita, Sumner and Cowley responded to the Mulvane, Kansas propane explosion. The state fire marshal has been called to investigate.
Mulvane, Kansas Propane Explosion Highlights Burn Dangers
Burns are a very serious form of injury. People with burns over more than 20% of their body can go into burn shock. Burns can also lead to infection because the burn has destroyed the skin, which is the body’s first defense against bacteria. Burn injuries can also include nerve damage, shock, and breathing problems.
As if that isn’t enough, treatment for burns is usually very painful. It can cause severe scarring. It can take a very long time to heal. Medical expenses can run into the millions of dollars, and medical care may be needed for a lifetime.
The law firm of Pritzker Hageman has been working to protect burn patients for years. We care about our clients, and will travel to see them in the hospital or at home to start the healing process. We make sure that your legal rights are protected after a burn injury.
We have won multi-million-dollar settlements for people who were injured in propane tank explosions, pipeline explosions, house explosions, and construction accidents.
If you have been injured, and wonder if you have a legal case, call us for free, and without obligation, to find out. Call 1-888-377-8900. Or fill out the online contact form.
Andres, Craig. “2 injuries in house explosion southeast of Mulvane.” KSN News, July 9, 2018.
“Official: Home ‘fully leveled’ in explosion near Mulvane; 2 hurt.” KAKE News, July 9, updated July 10, 2018.
“Propane gas explosion levels home, critically injures 2 near Mulvane.” KWCH12 Eyewitness News, July 9, 2018.